The rich timber resources of that early day made possible the use of the finest hard woods of the forests. At Duncan Tavern oak and ash girders, beams and joists have given lasting support and ribbing to the structure; huge sleepers, after 222 years, retain their original bark and are as sound as the day they were lifted into place; the laths are hand-split hickory; the blue ash floors show their antiquity but are still in good condition. The heavy doors have original antique locks of great interest, both English and early American. There are hand-carved mantels and stone fireplaces where heroes of long ago gathered to recount their services for the cause of liberty or lament the massacre at Blue Licks, last battle of the Revolution, which was suffered only six years earlier on the famous old Limestone (Buffalo) Road.
About 1800 Major Duncan died leaving a young widow, Anne, and six small children. At first Mrs. Duncan attempted to operate the inn but in 1803 she leased it to John Porter of Virginia. Between these dates she built a home flush against her tavern wall. This house was made of log construction and clapboarded but years later the façade was replaced with stone. Here she reared her children and diligently saved for their education. As it was not until 1815 when a final settlement of the estate of Joseph Duncan was recorded, we know most of the children were born in Duncan Tavern and grew up in this home, went out to serve as officers in the War of 1812 and became distinguished citizens in the building of the young Republic.