John and Mary Jackson Chapter
Mary Lou Wyatt Shear, Regent
Judy Brimm, Vice Regent
Gladys Stewart, Chaplain
Tara Hall, Recording Secretary
_______, Corresponding Secretary
Marsha Cross, Treasurer
Diana Vandy, Registrar
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
The following sketch was taken from the bicentennial of Kentucky edition of the DAR magazine of Kentucky published at Lexington, Ky in February 1950 by Dr. Winona Steven Jones, state regent and editor of that publication. not all assertions made in this early written history regarding the origin of chapter name are based upon facts or meet current standards of proof for membership with NSDAR.
On the Jamestown Monument in the park at Jamestown, Virginia, are the names of eleven planters who met there in 1610, to form the first Confederation in America, nine years before the Compact on the Mayflower. In that group was John Jackson, ancestor of Revolutionary War soldier John Jackson (1762-1833). John, born 1762, was the son of John Jackson (1740-1812) of Albermarle County, Virginia, and his wife Elizabeth.
The wife of Revolutionary soldier John Jackson, who, with her husband, is honored by this chapter, was Mary Forrest Hancock. Mary was the daughter of Stephen and Kitty Hancock. The Hancocks came to Boonesborough with Daniel Boone, in 1775, when Mary was six years old. Stephen was a brother of John Hancock, signer of the Declaration of Independence. According to family tradition, Mary was with the Calloway girls when they were stolen by Indians.
John and Mary were married in Madison County, Kentucky, January 15, 1786. Theirs is the first recorded marriage in that county. Their first child, Jarvis, was the first legitimate white male child born in Madison County.
For his services in the Revolution, John was given land in and near Richmond, Kentucky. He also served in the State Militia for 20 years.
In 1811, John moved his family to what is now Laurel County, having bought 10,000 acres there. Other settlers came, to some of whom he sold land, and in 1825 Laurel County was established by Act of Legislature. The county is named for the laurel which grows in great abundance along the streams of the region.
John and Mary Jackson gave 25 acres of land to the new county for a county seat. The town was named London in honor of the home of their ancestors. The first court in Laurel County was held May 1, 1826, in John's home. After John's death, Mary Jackson fulfilled the family's public spirited promise to erect a court house and jail for the county. This promise was an inducement to locate the county seat on their tract of land.
Updated May 20, 2019
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
This website is maintained by the Webmaster.