Jacqueline Grant Farris, Regent
Clara Mae Bullock Wilson, Vice Regent
Nancy Lee Farris Jarboe, Chaplain
Cynthia Snider, Recording Secretary
Nancy Jo Long Crawford, Corresponding Secretary
Susan Parker Long Mullins, Treasurer
Amelia Webb Wisner, Registrar
Nancy Louise Smith DeMarcus, Historian
Carol Ann Eubanks Vaughan, Librarian
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
The Lexington Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, was organized by Miss Izzy Desha and her cousin, Miss Mary Desha, a Lexington woman who had lived in Washington D.C., and had become one of the organizers of the National Society in 1890.
The chapter was named for the city in which it was founded. The city received its name when a runner came panting up to settlers camped in the area, bringing news of the Battle of Lexington, Massachusetts, and the colonists who had defied the British by firing those memorable shots. The campers said, "Let us name this settlement "Lexington.""
In an amazingly short time, Lexington became a small metropolis, out in the wilderness, five hundred miles from everywhere.
At that time the area was still overrun by Indian tribes, and 1500 white inhabitants were slain in the Kentucky County between 1775 and 1788. John Brandford's Kentucky Gazette, as late as 1790, related hair raising stories of the depredations and slaughter by the Indians; however, Lexington continued the march of civilization with the building of homes, and the opening of stores with rare merchandise for the backwoods residents.
The town of 1,800 inhabitants boasted two elementary schools and one university before 1790, and before statehood was granted on June 1, 1792.
Updated January 12, 2019
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
This website is maintained by the Webmaster.