Sandra Kay Farmer Hall, Regent
Linda Abner, Vice Regent
Janet Foster, Chaplain
Karen Gilbert, Recording Secretary
Norma Lee Rogers, Corresponding Secretary
Patty Gordon, Treasurer
Sandra Hall, Registrar
Nora Walters, Historian
Mary Lou Potts, Librarian
Debra Barnes, Parliamentarian
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
The Red River Valley Chapter was organized May 1970, with 13 organizing members and one associate member. The first officers and members of the chapter were: Mrs. Lillian Ewen Harrison, Regent; Miss Patricia Peck, Vice Regent; Mrs. Mary Conlee White, Recording Secretary; Mrs. Nora Lee Martin Walters, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Gertrude Derickson Conlee, Treasurer; Mrs. Mayme Derickson Ewen, Chaplain; Mrs. Sarah Eastin Peck, Librarian and Historian; Mrs. Wilda Martin Derickson, Mrs. Daisy Derickson Rice, Mrs. Saundra Wells Faulkner, Mrs. Lurline Derickson Skidmore, Mrs. Lina Alice Martin, Mrs. Eva Dell O’Hair Hollon, members.
The chapter was named for the Red River, which flows through Powell County, KY. The charter members desired that the name of the chapter be inviting to the entire county rather than a particular city or area. It was Red River where Daniel Boone found himself on June 7, 1769, and according to Filson’s Interview, Boone gave this description: “We proceeded successfully; and after a long and fatiguing journey through a mountainous wilderness, in a westward direction, on the 7th day of June following, we found ourselves on Red River, where Joh Finley had formerly been trading with the Indians, and from the top of an eminence, saw with pleasure the beautiful level of Kentucky.” Daniel Boone first saw the far distant Blue Grass from the top of Pilot Knob, located in what is now known as Powell County.
The chapter is located in the valley and gorge, an area of towering cliffs, rock houses, chimney rocks, and natural arches, surrounding the ninety-six mile long Red River. Red River flows through central Kentucky before draining into the Kentucky River.