Samuel Davies Chapter
Bowling Green, Kentucky

Paula Jarboe, Regent
___________, Vice Regent
Lynn Williams, Chaplain
Helen Richardson, Recording Secretary
Helen Richardson, Corresponding Secretary
Kay Connally, Treasurer
Patricia Goodwin, Registrar
Mary Dale Reynolds, Historian
Mary Dale Reynolds, Librarian

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊


The Samuel Davies Chapter was organized April 2, 1902 at the home of Potter College President, B. F. Cabell and his wife, Ellen Douglas Cabell. Charter members were Mrs. Ely H. Adams, Miss Susie Alexander, Miss Jeanie Davies Blackburn, Mrs. J. G. Brewer, Mrs. B. F. Cabell, Mrs. S W. Coombs, Mrs. Henry B. Hines, Mrs. W. H. Jones, Mrs. J. N. McCormack, Miss Nan Motley, Mrs. E. L. Motley, Miss Frances Potter, Miss Mary Alberta Potter, Miss Louise Taylor, and Miss Mary Jane Willis. Two young lawyers who were Notary Publics attended the first meeting to certify the prospective members' papers. Officers elected were Miss Jeanie Blackburn, Regent, Mrs. J. N. McCormack, Vice-Regent, Miss Mary Jane Willis, Recording Secretary, Mrs. Jeanie Spalding, Corresponding Secretary, and Miss Susie Alexander, Treasurer.

Miss Blackburn served as Chapter Regent from 1902-1914, then was elected to the office of Honorary Regent, which is perpetual. Under her wise and gentle administration the Chapter progressed rapidly. She was elected State Vice-Regent. For many years she was associated intimately with the National Society, where she won the laurels of recognition, culminating in her election to the office of Vice President General, 1917-1920. Miss Blackburn, the daughter of General Samuel Davies Blackburn and Elizabeth Henry Marshall, was the granddaughter of General William Marshall. The Marshall ancestral home, Fleetwood, known for its hospitality, was a rendezvous for political gatherings in addition to the noted social affairs of interstate reputation. From a grand old walnut tree at Fleetwood, a gavel made sacred by revered and hallowed memories, was carved. This gavel, mounted in silver with the Marshall Coat of Arms engraved thereon, was presented to the Samuel Davies Chapter by Mrs. Juliet Blackburn Williams at the State Conference held in Bowling Green in 1914 and was used to call the house to order.

Miss Blackburn named the new chapter Samuel Davies in honor of her great grandfather, Lieutenant Samuel Davies, who was born in Bedford County Virginia, but in 1779 removed to Lincoln County Kentucky. He was a lieutenant in Captain John Boyles Company, Kentucky Militia, Revolutionary War. He died in 1783 from exposure in Indian warfare and is buried in Lincoln County near Crab Orchard. Samuel Davies lived at Whitley's Station in Lincoln, then moved to Gilmer's Lick nearby where he built a cabin and cleared land. It was here, while working in a field in the year 1782 that he was surprised and attacked by an Indian. Attempting to reach the house, he found it full of Indians, and being unarmed, he concealed himself in a nearby field. Unable to render aid to this family, he ran to the station of his brother, James Davies, five miles distant to summon help. Mrs. Davies, in the house, detained the Indians for two hours by showing them clothing which pleased them, but finally they plundered the house, taking Mrs. Davies and the seven children prisoners. Fearing the Indians would kill the children too small to keep up, Mrs. Davies had the oldest boys carry them on their backs.

Upon arrival of the rescue party, the family had gone, but the howling of the Davies dog, which the Indians attempted to kill led them in the right direction. Upon its approach, one of the Indians scalped the eldest son of Samuel Davies, then about eleven years of age. Mrs. Davies saved herself and a nursing baby by jumping into a sink hole. The Indians fled. The boy who was scalped was greatly disfigured, as the hair never grew upon that part of his head. He wished for an opportunity to avenge himself upon the Indians. When, ten years later, Indians did come to his neighborhood and stole horses, he and a party of men went in pursuit, but young Davies was killed. Mrs. Davies was a woman of cool, deliberate courage. One day a marauder came to their home when no one was there except the children and herself. She asked him to drink and placed a full bottle of whiskey before him. He put his gun at the door while drinking. Mrs. Davies picked up the gun and held him prisoner until a party of men returned to take him into custody.

Last updated August 2022.