Barbara Anne Holland Perry, Regent
Deborah Hines, Vice Regent
Bobbie Jo Holt, Chaplain
Wanda Harper, Recording Secretary
Janet Stricklin, Treasurer
Nancy Cox, Registrar
Dana Muse, Historian
Roberta Adams, Librarian
Updated January 12, 2019
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
This website is maintained by the Webmaster.
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
Pulaski County, Kentucky, formerly a part of Lincoln County, Virginia, is located in the area "South of Green River" and was set apart by The Virginia Legislature to pay the Revolutionary Soldiers for their services. These soldiers were given numbered certificates for so many acres of land.
When Kentucky was admitted into the Union in 1792 many of these soldiers had settled on their lands. These soldiers found they were far from their county seat in Stanford and petitioned for a new county. The legislature authorized a new county in 1798. The soldiers remembered their old officer, "Count Pulaski," under who many of them served, and named the county in his honor.
At this time there were several towns in this area and there was a lively rivalry as to which would be the county seat. Sinking, later named Somerset, won out. Somerset was named in honor of Somerset, New Jersey, by some early settlers from that town.
Somerset Chapter, DAR, was organized at the home of Mrs. Mary M. Carr in February 1929 and approved by the National Board on March 5, 1929. There were 16 members on the original charter.