St Asaph Chapter
Nancy Arnold Knight Ketelhohn, Regent
Sarah Wiltsee, Vice Regent
Patricia Boatwright, Chaplain
Peggy Ellis, Recording Secretary
Shelley Giacomini, Corresponding Secretary
Teresa McGhee, Treasurer
Ann Pennington, Registrar
Ann Rightmyer, Historian
Stephanie Griffin, Librarian
Updated January 12, 2019
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
This website is maintained by the Webmaster.
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
In the year 1898, Mrs. Mary Johnson Hogsett requested permission from the National body of the Daughters of the American Revolution to organize a chapter in Danville. This request was granted, and on February 15, 1900, St. Asaph Chapter was organized. The chapter was composed of twelve members with Mrs. Hogsett serving as regent. Mrs. Adlai Stevenson, who was at that time President General of the Daughters of the American Revolution (the former Letitia Green, daughter of Dr. Lewis Warner Green, President of Centre College) had written her cousin, Mrs. Hogsett, and urged her to organize a chapter in Danville, their hometown.
The name "St. Asaph" was chosen for the newly organized chapter, honoring the old fort built by Col. Benjamin Logan in nearby Lincoln County, of which Boyle County was formerly a part. St. Asaph Fort, also known as Logans Fort, was one of the three important forts in Kentucky and was the scene of many a bloody skirmish and siege by Indians. It was the only haven for early settlers for many, many miles. The name "St. Asaph" was given to the fort by Col. Logan as a compliment to the famous Welsh monk, St. Asaph, as the date of his arrival at the fort, May 1, 1775, fell on the anniversary of the canonization of the monk.