William Dudley Chapter
Deborah Ison Vice, Regent
Caren Prater, Vice Regent
Carla White, Chaplain
Rose Ann Masters, Recording Secretary
Martha Fritz, Corresponding Secretary
Minnie Doyle, Treasurer
Stephanie Dailey, Registrar
HISTORY OF THE CHAPTER
The William Dudley Chapter, Flemingsburg, was organized January, 1941, with seventeen members. The selected name honored one of Fleming County's early settlers, William Dudley, who arrived at Stockton Station, the first settlement within the county, early in 1792.
William Dudley, with his wife, Elizabeth Hite Taylor (daughter of Simon Taylor and granddaughter of Jon Hite of Virginia), and their two children, left Hampshire County Virginia, in 1791 for Kentucky. Their route lead them from the Virginia county to the Ohio River below Fort Pitt, and then down the Ohio by flatboat, to Limestone, now Maysville. After a short stay here, the journey to Stockton's Station was continued. The entire journey had required the greater part of a year, during which time the third child had been born. For several weeks the flatboats comprising this band of pioneers had been tied up on the Kentucky shore, opposite what is now Portsmouth, Ohio due to an epidemic of smallpox.
For some time the Dudley family resided at Stockton Station, then became the second family to build and occupy a homesite unguarded by a log stockade. Dudley built a two story log cabin on his land which adjoined the station's holdings, and resided in this structure until he built, immediately in front of the log house, a large brick house in about 1802.
William Dudley, born 1754, served in the Revolutionary War from Hampshire County, Virginia, and in later years declined a pension.
Updated January 12, 2019
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
This website is maintained by the Webmaster.